EPA HVAC Certification

EPA stands for Environmental Protection Agency. The EPA regulates pollutants in the environment and offers an exam for HVAC certification on proper handling of low and high pressure refrigerants. This certification is to help cut down on pollutants. To get the certification you have to take a test, locally at an EPA specified location.

Getting EPA Certified

To obtain Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certification you must take and pass a test or a series of tests. The test covers three types of appliances, small appliances — like vacuums — high and low pressure appliances, like refrigerators or centrifugal machines — like washing machines. In addition to questions on various appliances, the test includes questions on general environmental issues. Unlike regular HVAC certification, you can choose to do a self-study or take classes to prepare you for the exams.

Preparation for the EPA exam

It’s important to decide which type of certification test you want to take before you decide on a class. Training classes are designed to help you prepare for the testing, so it’s important to make sure the class you take covers the material you need to know. It’s also important that you choose a class that has EPA-approved instructors. You can also choose to enroll in online classes, or simply teach yourself the material needed. Regardless of the way you choose to learn the material, once you feel you’re ready, you need to schedule a time to take the test. Testing is done locally in EPA-approved testing centers or at your local tech schools.

Cost of the EPA certification

The cost for the exam ranges from $40.00 to $240.00, depending on how you intend to study. If you are simply taking the test – and have already studied the required material on your own – the fee to take the test is $40. If you need a more in-depth training, the cost – including the classes – can reach up to $240. If you’re planning on attending school for your HVAC certification, and need EPA certification as well, simply choose a school that does both. You can take the classes all at once and take both tests when you’re finished. Keep in mind that if you attend an accredited school for HVAC classes that include the EPA classes, you could also qualify for financial aid. Then you only have to pay to take the exam. Most of the time, tests are given at your local EPA office, and you can contact them to schedule a time. Once you pass your test, you received a card that says you’re certified to work in the field, and the card should be carried with you anytime you are handling materials or doing a job.